Monday 12 April 2010









Here is just a round up of some of the very English activities that I have engaged in during my last week in London:

#1. I have been to several pubs, the best of which was The Albany on Great Portland Street. Mike and I were convinced that the place had to be a reputable establishment when we saw a gentleman whose bag read "Milan Hipster Convention 2006" entering the front door.

#2. I have watched a bit of English telly, including such programs as "Master Chef," "Come Dine with Me" (a dinner party competition), and my all-time favorite "Escape to River Cottage" with Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall (this episode was all about strawberries!). Why can't we have quality programs like this in America?

#3. I have pretended that it was summer when the sun finally emerged after a solid week of gloom, although the temperature was still only 60 degrees. The two parks where I have attempted to sunbathe are Parson's Green, where Veronica and I went to recover and read the Guardian after a big night out, and Hyde Park. I have to say that they left me missing Dolores. But two advantages that London parks do have are that drinking in public is legal here, and there is absolutely no risk of sunburn.

#4. I have been to tea at Harrod's. Cucumber sandwiches, check. Scones with clotted cream, check. And also some fantastic rose jam that (quite predictably) I instantly fell in love with. On the way to the tea room you must pass through "Luxury Room I" and "Luxury Room II," after which you make your way up the Egyptian Escalator. Bet you did not know how they got to the tops of those pyramids.
At some point during the tea, either Jana or Veronica mentions baby skinny jeans, of which we then feel compelled to verify the existence. So when we're through we scour the children's section: Burberry, Dior, Armani, Ralph Lauren, etc. We don't exactly find any, but it's quite an enlightening survey of haute couture for the very young.

#5. I have gone to karaoke at an East End pub where some of the regular patrons were not equipped with the requisite number of teeth.

#6. I have eaten fish and chips, beans on toast, curry, meat pie (chicken with bacon and leek, to be exact), and Haribo candy.

#7. I have gone to markets, which is my most favorite thing ever to do in London. Borough, Columbia Flower and Spitalfields Markets.

And here are some very English things that I have not done: I have not used any fake tanning lotion, although the "baked potato" look seems to be very hot right now, or bleached my hair. I swear there are more fake blondes in this town than in LA. Usually these two are sported simultaneously, resulting in an overall appearance that is something like this. I have also not worn a dangerously short skirt, which seems to be a popular English pastime. I actually saw a woman walking down the street who had unwittingly passed beyond the danger zone and entered into the realm of full daylight exposure. Also, perhaps most incredibly, I have consumed neither a late-night kebab not a single pack of crisps.

1 comment:

  1. wow what a spectacular piece of culinary genius. Would you mind sharing the secret recipe with a fellow bean lover? I have to say, it is times when you are presented with your evening meal of beans on toast when the old truism rings true "its not what you eat, its who you're with." and frankly with Hugh in the background there is not much more to say apart from that is a horrendous picture of me in the sun. most appreciated :) V

    ReplyDelete