Monday 5 April 2010

Most Perfect Cuppa Eva





Londontown in April and barely any sign of Spring.
Should have really packed a few more sweaters.
The rain has gotten the best of me twice already. Do you really understand what people mean when they talk about getting soaked?
We try our best to squeeze out every drop of sunshine from these dreary streets, as we witness the East London fashion brigade that is Brick Lane on a Sunday.
Finally we find our efforts to be futile and head inside.
First to the requisite curry house, where we are faced with somewhat of a disappointing lunch.
Then to Market House Coffee on Brushfield Street, across from the Spitalfields Market.
Earl Grey with milk and sugar. Which I have consumed so many times before, but somehow this time turns out to be magical. I taste mine first. I'm in awe, but thinking maybe it's just me. You know how I can sometimes get like that about tea. So I watch Mikey's face as he tastes his. He agrees.
It also seems familiar in a way. Reminiscent of an indeterminate time. Very delicate and bergamotty.
We ask what brand it is. The waiter isn't sure, but he tells us what shop they buy it from. Which, as it happens, is just around the corner from my old flat. It turns out that this is the very same tea that I used to get there! Hello there my old grey friend. How could I have forgotten about you? Definitely going to stock up before I leave this town.

No comments:

Post a Comment